ORGANIZATIONAL DESCRIPTION: Advocates for Youth partners with youth leaders, adult allies, and youth-serving organizations to advocate for policies and champion programs that recognize young people’s rights to honest sexual health information; accessible, confidential, and affordable sexual health services; and the resources and opportunities necessary to create sexual health equity for all youth.
GENERAL PROJECT DESCRIPTION: Advocates abortion work focuses on improving access to care for young people, both minors and young adults. The Director, Youth Abortion Access will work with young people, Advocates’ Policy and Communications staff, and partner organizations to:1) raise awareness of the disproportionate barriers young people face when trying to access abortion care; 2) shift the cultural narrative from one in which youth access to abortion is a third rail issue to one that recognizes and respects young people’s agency and drives policy improvements in support of youth access to all pregnancy options,and 3) support development and expansion of a practical support network of young people assisting other young people to obtain the abortion care they need.
Specifically, the Director, Youth Abortion Access is responsible for supporting, expanding and growing Advocates’ abortion initiatives, including but not limited to:
Youth Testify, a partnership with We Testify in which young people who have experienced abortion care are supported and trained to share their stories, highlighting the important role abortion care played in their lives as well as the barriers youth face when trying to access abortion care. These young people work to drive both cultural and policy change through the power of personal storytelling.
Youth Abortion Support Collective (YouthASC), a new initiative launched in July 2020 that has already attracted more than 150 young people from across the country who are interested in providing practical support for other youth in need of abortion care and organizing against abortion restrictions.
Youth Abortion Access Table (YAAT), a collaboration with URGE and If/When/How to build support for minors’ access to abortion care by shifting the national narrative from a third rail issue to one that recognizes and respects young people’s agency and normalizes youth access to care through culture shift, policy advocacy and movement building.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The responsibilities of the Director, Youth Abortion Access, include:
- Overseeing, developing and expanding YouthASC including creating a training curriculum for Youth ASC members.
- Providing technical assistance, training and support for YASC members on topics such as policies related to self-managed abortion care, becoming a doula, providing practical support for minors, navigating judicial bypass, creating an on-the-ground practical support network, connecting to abortion funds and conducting policy advocacy, among other topics.
- Assisting Advocates’ VP of Policy, Partnerships and Youth Organizing (VP, PPO) to develop and staff the Youth Abortion Access Table.
- Assisting the VP, PPO and State Campaign Manager for Abortion Access in the coordination and conduct of the National Youth Access Convening, formerly the National Judicial Bypass Summit.
- Supporting Advocates’ Director of Communications to drive media attention to the barriers young people face, center the abortion stories of young people and create and drive social media and on-the-ground campaigns related to youth access to abortion care.
- Developing, supporting and nurturing relationships with reproductive justice and racial justice organizations and helping to craft messages and initiatives that recognize abortion care as one of many reproductive, health, rights and justice issues about which young people deserve agency.
- Supporting Advocates’ Director of Communication and the State Campaign Manager for Abortion Access in recruiting, nurturing, and training an annual cohort of 20 young story tellers, advocates and YouthASC members.
- Building alliances with international, national and state organizations working to improve youth access to confidential health care, including abortion care.
- Building alliances with racial, economic and social justice organizations interested in cross-training their youth activists on issues of reproductive health, rights and justice and expanding the youth arm of the progressive base.
- Supporting the Youth Organizing Team in the coordination of the Youth Activist Institute, Advocates’ annual five-day convening for130 core youth activists held annually in Washington, DC (virtual in 2020 due to covid-19), and other trainings and retreats throughout the year.
- Serving as a media spokesperson and assisting Advocates’ Communications staff to identify and train young people to speak with media.
- Speaking on panels and conducting workshops at national and international meetings about Advocates’ initiatives.
- Drafting materials including training modules, toolkits, talking points, and action alerts in collaboration with the Policy and Communications staff related to abortion access.
- Assisting Advocates’ President with fundraising, budgeting and project planning.
- Working with Advocates’ Development staff to write cultivate relationships with donors and write grant proposals and reports as needed.
- Carrying out other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS: Advocates seeks candidates with vast knowledge and deep relationships with national and international practical support and youth abortion care networks, abortion funds, doula collectives, and reproductive justice partners. Successful candidates will have:
- At least five years of experience working with youth activists, youth organizing and grassroots campaigning.
- At least three years of experience coordinating an abortion practical support network.
- Relationships with or experience working/training as an abortion doula.
- At least two to three years of experience supervising and managing teams.
- At least five year of experience creating and executing strategy.
- Experience building strong relationships among diverse communities, cultivating trust, being responsive to feedback, thriving in a collaborative and diverse organizational environment.
- Strong analysis of race, class, and gender, and their own identities.
- A demonstrated commitment to organizing young people on progressive issues.
- Knowledge of the reproductive and sexual health/rights/justice field and prior experience in training and facilitation.
- Demonstrated experience with program planning, implementation, evaluation, fiscal accountability, resource development, communications and fundraising.
- Commitment to Advocates for Youth’s mission and goals.
Details at a glance
- On-site Location
- Full Time Schedule
Salary is $80,000-$95,000/year depending on level of experience . This is a full-time position (35 hours per week) and includes flexible compensatory time and a generous benefits package (health and dental insurance, life and short-and long-term disability insurance, 403(b) retirement plan, professional development funds, and student loan pay-down benefit).
How to Apply
Please send cover letter, resume and references by August 7, 2020 to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line Director, Youth Abortion Access and last name. No phone calls or email inquiries, please.
Advocates for Youth is an Equal Opportunity/Americans with Disabilities Act employer and strongly encourages people of color and LGBTQ people to apply.
This position is based in Washington, DC.