Applications are due June 15th, 2020
Abortion Out Loud, formerly the 1 in 3 Campaign, harnesses the power of storytelling, grassroots organizing, leadership development, and policy advocacy to end abortion stigma and strengthen support for young people’s access to abortion. Activists leading the Abortion Out Loud project in their community host abortion speakouts, lead public education campaigns, and work with campus and local officials to strengthen young people’s access to abortion services. For more information, check out: advocatesforyouth.org/abortion-out-loud
Advocates for Youth will provide 20 selected Abortion Out Loud Campaign Organizers with advocacy and media training, ongoing technical support, campaign supplies, and seed grants each semester for related campus events. Other in person and/or virtual trainings will also be available throughout the year. Advocates for Youth also invites the selected Abortion Out Loud organizers to our virtual Youth Activist Institute from September 10th-14th.
The goals of Abortion Out Loud Organizers are to:
- Serve as activists, advocates, and spokespeople for the campaign and abortion access
- Mobilize fellow young people to improve access to abortion for young people by working to end forced parental involvement laws in their states, increase on-campus access to abortion, and engage in other policy-focused campaigns.
- Identify specific spaces and institutions on campus or in their community that stigmatize abortion and challenge them to center real people’s experiences
- Educate the media on issues related to abortion access, especially by sharing their personal experiences with abortion (if applicable)
- Work to build practical support networks on campus and in their communities to support young people who need abortion care