1in3 Campaign Organizer Application
2019 – 2020
The 1 in 3 Campaign aims to destigmatize abortion by creating a new dialogue that puts people at the center of the conversation about abortion rights and access. The 1 in 3 campaign builds on the success of prior social change movements, harnessing the power of storytelling to engage and inspire action and strengthen support for abortion access. By giving people who have had abortions a platform to end their silence, share their stories, and start a new and more personal conversation about abortion in our society, the 1 in 3 Campaign will help create a cultural environment that enables and supports access to abortion. For more information about the campaign, check out www.1in3campaign.org.
Advocates for Youth will provide 20 selected 1 in 3 Campaign Organizers with advocacy and media training, ongoing technical support, campaign supplies, and seed grants each semester for related campus events. Other in person trainings will also be available throughout the year. Advocates for Youth also invites the selected 1 in 3 campus representatives to the Urban Retreat (September 5th – 9th), our annual youth organizing conference. All 1 in 3 representatives will receive a scholarship to cover all costs related to attending the Urban Retreat.
The goals of 1 in 3 Campaign Campus Organizers are to:
- Serve as activists, advocates, and spokespeople for the campaign and abortion access
- Mobilize fellow students to end the culture of shame and stigma that people are made to feel about abortion and work toward building a culture of empathy and support
- Identify specific spaces and institutions on campus that stigmatize abortion and challenge them to center real people’s experiences
- Educate the media on issues related to abortion access
- Advocate for policies that promote access to abortion on a local and national level
- Help lead 1 in 3 notable national such as the 1 in 3 Abortion Speakout and Out of Silence Play
1 in 3 activists must demonstrate the interest, capacity, and resources to organize strategic, meaningful campaign actions on their college campuses.
Applicants interested in becoming a 1 in 3 Campaign Organizer must:
- Be part of an existing student organization that wants to take on the 1 in 3 campaign as one if its major projects, or be interested in starting a new student organizations that will focus its efforts on the 1 in 3 campaign
- Be based at a U.S. college or university
- Conduct at least five screenings, discussions or presentations on the 1 in 3 campaign
- Participate in any major 1 in 3 actions, such as the semesterly Week of Actions
- Organize one large scale event to raise awareness about and/or mobilize support for abortion access, legislation related to reproductive rights, or the campaign itself (this can be part of the 1 in 3 week of action)
- Participate in monthly check-ins with Advocates for Youth staff as well as team conference calls
- Submit monthly reports to Advocates’ staff
- Must be available to attend and fully participate in the September Urban Retreat (Sept 5 -9)